There has been a renewed interest in Absinthe liquor about the world in the last decade since Absinthe’s legalization in many countries. Absinthe, also known as the Green Fairy or La Fee Verte, has only been legal in the United States since 2007, and only certain brands can be sold, so there is much interest in the liquor in the US.
What is Absinthe Liquor About?
Absinthe is a distilled anise flavored spirit which was created for medicinal purposes as an elixir or tonic by the legendary Dr Pierre Ordinaire in Couvet, Switzerland. It’s popularity began in the 19th and early 20th centuries in France and Switzerland.
Generally Absinthe is prepared from a wine base and is flavored with herbs. Its main herbal ingredients are common wormwood (Artemisia Absinthium), which gives Absinthe its name and its bitter taste, aniseed and fennel. Other common herbs that are used in the preparation of Absinthe are hyssop, lemon balm, star anise, dittany, juniper, nutmeg and licorice.
There are many different types of Absinthe liquor:-
– Verte – This is the classic green Absinthe of the French La Belle Epoque and the Absinthe favored by the Bohemian culture of Montmartre and consumed by artists and writers such as Pablo Picasso, Van Gogh, Oscar Wilde, Ernest Hemingway, Gauguin, Degas, Baudelaire and Verlaine.
– Everyone knows La Blueu as La Blanche also. This is a clear Absinthe. Bootleg Swiss Absinthe was clear during the ban.
– Czech Style Absinth – Some Czech Absinthes are normal Absinthes but this term refers to “Absinths” which are actually wormwood bitters and do not have an anise flavor.
– A sweeter flavor in Absenta, Spanish Absinthe is due to Alicante Anise.
– The red color in Rouge or Rose Absinthe is because of the hibiscus flowers.
You can buy many different types and styles of Absinthe online– traditional styles and modern classics which are based on vintage Absinthes but have a modern twist.
As well as buying these different types of Absinthe beverages, you can also make your own Absinthe from Absinthe essences. AbsintheKit.One can visit AbsintheKit.com to get essences. A classic green Absinthe essence, a clear Absinthe essence, a strong essence and an orange flavored essence are the four essences prepared by them. One has not to worry about the quality and distilling of the essences for preparing his own wormwood Absinthe.
The website AbsintheKit.com also provides Absinthiana.
The alcohol is 75% by volume in Absinthe and it is more stronger than whisky or vodka. As one can easily get drunk on Absinthe so he should be attentive when intaking such a strong spirit especially if it is being mixed with other strong spirits in cocktails!
Absinthe liquor has a very colorful and interesting history and is a lovely beverage to enjoy.