When you have bought or made your own Absinthe how to prepare it is the next issue because Absinthe is not like any other alcoholic beverage, it is usually served diluted with iced water. This way of serving Absinthe is the traditional way that was used in La Belle Epoque in France and Switzerland. One can go through “The Ritual” or “La Louche” to gather information.
Absinthe How to Prepare using The Ritual
To perform the Ritual, you will need the following:-
– Absinthe – A good quality Absinthe containing real herbal ingredients such as wormwood, aniseed and fennel. The Absinthe should contain thujone.
– One will need an Absinthe glass – An antique Absinthe glass or replica one. A person can visit AbsintheKit.com to buy replicas of antiques.
– A slotted Absinthe spoon or a cuillere is used.
– Take a cube of sugar.
– Importance of iced water in a carafe or in an Absinthe fountain.
Instructions for preparing the perfect Absinthe drink:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass.
– After resting the Absinthe spoon over the rim of the glass place a cube of sugar on it.
– Both tap of the fountain or carafe can be used to slowly drip iced water over the sugar. Dripping it slowly will give the sugar chance to dissolve and drip through the slots of the spoon. As soon as the water mixes into the alcohol a “louche” effect is seen. The Absinthe louches because the essential oils of the herbs are not soluble in water.
– An individual has to sit back and enjoy the Green Fairy.
The Bohemian or Czech Method
This method of preparing Absintheis not traditional but is a modern way of preparing cheap Czech Absinthes. Several Absinthe followers scorned the Bohemian method.
You will need:-
– Take an Absinthe glass
– Necessity of an Absinthe slotted spoon
– Use a cube of sugar
– Use a lighter or match
– Iced water
Instructions and tips for using the Bohemian method:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass and dip the sugar cube into it to soak the sugar.
– Keep sugar cube on the Absinthe spoon and rest it on the rim of the glass.
– The sugar cube should be kept alight for sometime to caramelize and melt. One should carefully drip the sugar from the slots of the spoon into the Absinthe.
– It is necesary to keep the spoon into the Absinthe and pour the iced water into it for releasing the flames and causing the Absinthe to louche.
– How to enjoy Absinthe drink .
* Care should be taken with this method because the Absinthe in the glass may set alight too *
Absinthe can also be used in many cocktails. Ernest Hemingway is famous about mixing it with champagne and called it “Death in the Afternoon”.
There are many mysteries, stories and legends surrounding Absinthe about it’s preparation, its history, the ban and the revival. An individual will enjoy drinking this famous mythical drink.